Monday, May 28, 2007

Sorry......or not

I did not do anything to the indigenous people of our land. You probably did not either. Nor did my parents or grandparents. Why do I have to apologise to the native people of our land?

I don't have anything to apologise about. But if we recognise that taking children away from their mothers for no good reason is wrong, then shouldn't our Prime Minister apologise on our behalf for mistakes made in the past?

The motives were perhaps well intentioned but in retrospect, clearly wrong. They screwed up big time and just the phrase, 'we are sorry for what was done back then', would go long way towards healing the pain and hurt.

While it won't win yesterday's man an election, it could be beautifully staged with lots of tears and embracing.

By not doing it now, the inevitable is delayed.

10 comments:

  1. I am in two minds about this.

    On one hand, I see my mother's (aboriginal liason officer for a state) point of view.

    On the other, I see the point that it was in the past, and by today's government apologising - it opens a constitutional nightmare that will ultimately lead to many, many courtcases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosanna. It happened in my parents lifetime, so not that long ago....well maybe a good while. I cannot agree with constitutional nightmare but yes, it may lead to court cases. When you do something wrong, you are often fined or forced to compensate the victims. But I doubt many would be out for money from it and if they were, a class settlement may be made and no individual gets very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *s* Don't think that I'm not thinking the same thing as you - what happened was definitely wrong. As wrong as wrong could possibly be. I just get sick of the collective "we". No... *I* didn't do anything to those people, but some recognition of what happened is definitely called for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My partner thinks very much like you Ren. Only when the sorry word is uttered will the whole thing go away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much of an issue for me to even contemplate tonight.

    Way, way too many essays to think of.

    Can we talk about nekid Johnny Depp instead?

    PS: Thanks for dis agreeing with me. I re-read back over my comment and dis agreed with myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure I agree with myself either Rosanna. Oh, it all very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saying sorry in Canada didn't open the way for court cases.
    One of the reasons for taking the children was to breed the aborignal race out as unlike the Afro-Americans, the aboriginal people don't throw back. It was calculated and endorsed by governments and a simple apology for a wrong isn't too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that true Jahteh, that they don't throw back? Seems strange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday's Man. I love that!

    ReplyDelete