Thursday, April 05, 2007

Second day off




































Although I started much earlier than yesterday, like 6.30, I was not out until noon (vacuum and clean up ink on carpet that had spilled from old printer). Just as I left home with the old printer under my arm, down came the rain. Our windows were halfway through being cleaned too.

The 219/216 bus was late as usual and it was a slow trip. Should have taken the car I thought for a while. The female driver had her young daughter with her on the bus. I suppose not everyone can take school holiday time off work.

I was going to unfamiliar territory, West Melbourne, but I had looked at the street directory beforehand. Third set of lights past my carwash in Spencer Street. Dryburgh Street actually. What I should have realised is that it is just before the Dynon Road Bridge which is pretty hard to miss, although the next stop would have been a long way away, across the bridge.

I walked up Dryburgh Street to Victoria Street. Ah, there is Mulchay's Hotel, now derelict but it used to host gay bootscooting and we went there a few times in the early nineties I suppose, strictly for a drink and observe, not to participate.

In Victoria Street was Computerbank and they took my old printer for a fee of $5.50, which I happily paid, and in return the woman gave a couple of Linux cds. After Computerbank fix up a donated computer, they scrub Windows and put on Linux operating system. While I first heard of Linux over a decade ago, like Wordpress, I know something already and I don't want to learn something new. There are two cds though, one to install the system and one to try it from the cd reader. Of course once home, I had to try it from the cd reader. Reboot pc, it said, and Linux will load automatically. It didn't. I may give it another try later.

I walked out of shop and it occurred to me while I had studied how to get there, I did not work out how to get back to the city. I had no intention of going back to Spencer Street and maybe waiting half an hour for a bus, so hey, this can't be hard. I am in Victoria Street. I just need to walk, and a pleasant walk it was too.

I passed some interesting houses. High Street Windsor is not the only place where frangipani grow. There were four houses in a row with frangipani growing in their front yards. The common factor being High St and Victoria Street face north and the houses are solid brick. Keeps the winter frost off them by radiated heat from the bricks and gives them plenty of heat in the summer. I don't think they need a lot of water. Absolutely beautiful scent in the street.

Then I passed this old place in the picture, Candelles. Very draggy name. (more info anyone?)It had been grand but was now very shabby and unused.

Ah, tram tracks, North Melbourne. Verve cafe looked pretty kewl.

City, very busy because of school holidays. I had a thought of seeing Old Melbourne Gaol after being inspired by Cazzie's post, but it could have been too busy with kids and it was getting a bit late.

Some shopping at QV and note a Dan Murphys is opening there soon.

On the way into town on the bus I read The Age food supplement, Epicure. There was a review of hot cross buns from around Melbourne. Bakers' Brumbys and Bakers Delight received approval, and the price was $1 a bun. Well for the last day before easter, the price had risen to $6.50 for half a dozen. I bought eight Safeway hot cross buns for $4.50 instead. Not quite as nice, but at least I won't feel cheated.

I waited for an empty tram and travelled home in comfort.

R arrived home and we walked to the now almost deGrand Prixed Albert Park Lake. Although we tried once recently and could not get there because of barricades, it had been quite a while. The boat landings that my nephew helped build have lost the redness from their timbers and look very nice and sound.

But I could not believe the low level of the lake. It was drought in 2002 when we moved here and the lake level never dropped as low as it now is. I happily blame the Grand Prix for taking water to irrigate their race track 'verges'.

While I thought we would go home, R was in a chipper mood as he has five days off and offered to buy me a beer. How about the Palmerston Hotel, I suggested. It looks like a dive but it is so close to home and the slogan 'Have a parma at the Palmer' appeals to me, even though I am not keen on veal parmigiana?

Well, I am surprised that pubs like this still exist. It was full of tradies, you could have cut the smoky air with a knife and the sound level of joy de vivre was high. The menu and prices looked ok in the separate dining area, so we will go back for a meal, if it can remain open once the new laws banning smoking start mid year. We sat outside with one ear tuned to the bird noises to the west and the other to the semi trailers and B doubles in Kingsway to the east, like a few metres away in either direction. But it was very pleasant.

It feels like it should be Friday night and crime night on our ABC, but no, only Thursday and tv is dull. Not an early start tomorrow and a shortish time at work and extra money, so that is good.

I feel like I should wish you a happy easter or passover or the moslem equivalent, but that would be odd coming from a heathen communist. Enjoy the next few days, whether working or not and savour the chocolate slowly, don't gulp it.

Photos, Candles in Victoria Street (note the name Loco and the train atop the building), a couple of boats on the lake, an inaccessible powerpoint and a blackboard at the Palmerston Hotel, the blimp passing between two buildings and a disgusting and awful block of flats that should be demolished in Kingsway.

5 comments:

  1. For a period, the Palmerston was the top rated Chicken Parma at superparma.com ... it's now at number 2, with 18 points out of 20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosanna10:22 am

    Hooray for days off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daniel. Not sure why we have never been there when it so close. I suppose it looks a bit dodgy on the outside.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.