Monday, April 09, 2007

Save Sydney's Fairies

We down south in Mexico have heard that there are some serious problems with Sydney's public transport but we have problems enough with our own.

We still have some old W trams dating back to the forties and fifties running a regular service on a traffic congested route and on the tourist oriented city circle route. In my opinion, that is where they should stay. The are no longer suitable for normal public transport use.

But people were passionate about retaining some of the W trams and I understand their reasons. Unfortunately the present W tram beast has been so modified that it cannot efficiently transport the public in a normal manner.

I expect Sydney people are also passionate their ferries. As an occasional tourist to Sydney I certainly am. A visit to Sydney is lacking for me without a trip to Manly on the ferry. You can of course get the more comfortable and faster Jetcat, but the ferry is a much nicer trip.

So I am a little alarmed to read of this suggestion in today's Sydney Morning Herald.

A proposal by the firm KPMG and backed by the latest chief executive, Geoff Smith, to replace the traditional Manly ferries with a fleet of smaller, faster ferries has been rejected unanimously by the five-member board because of fears that the SuperCat disaster - the failed experiment to design an all-purpose ferry - will be repeated.

I think getting rid of the traditional Sydney ferry would be like ridding Melbourne of W trams. I hope neither ever happens. Read the full story here.

1 comment:

  1. Forgive me for being cynical, but I'm sure there's a bunch of cash somewhere involved with this idea. There always is...

    ReplyDelete