Sunday, April 29, 2007

Over the limit post about #5

I have been throttled. I went over my 10gb limit, even though Telstra's website says that my allowance is 12gb. The person I spoke to over the telephone changed me over to the new plan, which is my old plan with an extra two gigs allowance, but it is the same plan and the one that Telstra's website tells me I am on anyway. Confused? I am not. I expect nothing less from Telstra. The nice chappie said that he could release me from the throttling but not until I went over the ten gigs. At that point I was 9.980. He said to just call back once I was over and he put a note on my file.

But you know what? My plan allows an 8mbps download and I am throttled to 64kbps and I can't tell the effing difference. What does that say about my fast bigpond cable? I won't bother calling.

Telstra has been inundating me with emails and literature of a very strong nature even saying that the Australian Competition and Consumer Corporation? is a rogue organisation. They suggested a list of people to contact, including parliamentarians, for a fairer deal for Telstra, and they then may upgrade the Australian internet service to something vaguely near the rest of the civilised world.

Whatever you think of Telstra, they are a private company and are there to make profits for shareholders.

It is so simple. The government should build and own the physical infrastructure and lease it to whoever wants it, for a profit. Telstra really would be in trouble then when they had to compete on a 'level playing field', the phrase they are so fond of using.

I think I just shot my self in my own Telstra share owning foot.

Just to wrap, back in the nineties it was predictable that people who do not have the internet would be disadvantaged in the future. The time has arrived where this is happening. In Australia we are surely at the point where the internet must be a right, not a privilege.

7 comments:

  1. Even though we get emails from BP saying we've exceeded our monthly limit and have been 'shaped', it has never actually happened, our speed remains the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron. I actually guessed I had not been slowed but unsure why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you what, Telstra has it down pat. Imagine if the government had never pushed for the seperation of telecom. We'd be in the dark ages of recession and dial-up.

    Le gah.

    Especially at university, you are so disadvantaged without an internet connection. Nearly everything is online - thank god for cable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was speaking to a coworker the other day who said that Optus ADSL customers were getting a free upgrade to 2MB.

    Optus Cable customers aren't getting a speed upgrade but the off peak offer that they had in now permanent. I get 36gb in downloads a month now.

    ...and who said that deregulation of the telco industry was bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commission is the last C in ACCC. I've been getting that 'corporate grassroots' propaganda also and frankly I'm a little mystified over it as well. The government won't build it owing to the huge cost involved. Even though it could easily be profitable, when was the last time a government, particularly this one, made a proper investment like this proposal? Howard has too much else to worry about, like Rome burning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do a speed test here, Andrew:

    http://www.speedtest.net/


    I have just written to BP asking when my contract expires (I think it was last month) and saying that 12Gb is not enough for the household. If they don't up my limit, I'm switching to Internode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosanna and Bobby, I still believe the government should own the infrastructure and private companies pay to use it and sell it onto to us.

    Did it Ron, above average download, 3405kbps, below average upload 123kbps. 12gb is just enough for the two of us. Not exactly the 8mb per second is it.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.