Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Views and a view

I love our views. We can see Richmond, South Yarra, Prahran, St Kilda, Albert Park and suburbs beyond along with Port Phillip Bay. But sometimes it is very nice to close the blinds, to close it all off, to lock it all out. I am insulated. I am not participating. Street lights and sunlight can go to hell.

I am locked in my apartment with no outside contact other than my choosing. I have tv, radio, pc, phone and books. Everything else can be delivered. Why would I want to go out into that nasty, racist, homophobic, sexist, cheating, selfish, dog eat dog and blow up your neighbour world.

I will continue to participate in outside things, but gosh it is getting harder and harder.

Someone at work remarked to me the other day that I am quieter than I used to be. In actual fact I recognised this person's shifty character and so I am quite reserved with him. But it is a valid comment. I am quieter. It is easy to talk to my workmates who I have known a long time, but I don't make an effort to get to know new people at work. I used to join in more work related things. Now it is an effort just to go work, and there is nothing pleasurable about it.

I don't make any effort to extend my circle of friends. It is hard enough keeping up with the present ones.

Is this just how it is as you age? Oh, and don't feel sorry for me. I am quite happy thanks. I just worry a little that I am happy as I seem to head towards isolationism.

3 comments:

  1. I find seeing my current friends, keeping up with my best friend in Vietnam, plus boys, plus family, plus work, plus whatever else life throws at me keeps me quite busy enough.

    Extending the social circle is hard work, best reserved for colder weather and more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reason to go out...sex

    Reason not to go out...the creeps available for sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty-nine, and I agree with every word! It's not age, it's a quest for sanity!

    ReplyDelete