Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Very Hot Babe

That will win the most tasteless headline for the year before many are written.

It is interesting to compare tonight's tv news coverage of the tragic story of a baby dying from heat in a car.

It seems it was just a horrible accident without anyone to blame. Children cannot be watched 24 hours a day, especially if there are six of them. I would have thought that not seeing a two year for a time would promote an early investigation as to it's whereabouts, but I don't know the circumstances or what those large McMansions are like inside.

Channel Seven clearly made the point that they were Moslem by showing all the female rels arriving at the house in their robes.

The ABC chose not to identify the family's race or religion by not showing any of this.

While their race and religion is pretty well irrelevant to the story, is it not normal to show grieving relatives arriving at the family home when a loved one has died? Is it racism by ommision?

I don't think it was a good call by our ABC. It is often under fire for political correctness and this gives ammunition to it's critics. I tire of the implications of race without actually mentioning it. For goodness sake, just say it and forget the games.

(post stimulated by the ever interesting Living in Canberra on the Griffith murder)

5 comments:

  1. The channel 10 late news showed some veiled women walking down the street, but nothing was said about them, I just assumed they were neighbours actually.

    Having said that, now I'm worried that I was being racist because I remembered taking note of who the neighbours might be while watching the item. I think I'm reading too much into it, but I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Given the family's race is irrelevant to the story, which is worse, showing them (and risking implying something), or not showing them (as if non-caucasians shouldn't be seen on TV?) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's a tough call. The family's ethnicity is not really relevant. These, on the other hand, are not tough calls,

    http://pommygranate.blogspot.com/2007/01/who-needs-msm.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that this morning. Very interesting. I did not know about Griffith, but I had guessed.

    ReplyDelete