Friday, December 08, 2006

Phish

I have had a few bank phishing emails. For the purposes of this post, I was about to cut and paste some text from the last one, but then I realised it the whole thing was an active link, not just the url at the bottom of the email.

I went to the National Australia Bank email site and superficially, it looked convincing. I entered some fake detail of bank account and the next page I had to confirm my address and name etc. I put in more fake info. Then I clicked the 'finish' button and I was then taken to the real National Australia Bank home page. Very convincing.

I don't have much sympathy for people caught out by the so called 'Nigerian' type scams, and it would seem many are, but I do for some new to the net people caught out by bank phishing.

5 comments:

  1. One security feature I've enabled is to use separate email accounts to distinguish fwd's to $$ related matters etc. Spammers get email addy's based on the info we fill in for say mail catalogs. Its annoying to remember which account was used but better safe than sorry hey.

    Whats the weekend plans looking like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I've received several bank scam emails -- hoping I have an account with that bank and that I'm an idiot -- for banks that have not existed for 5 or 10 years. It must work or the scammer would try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, we too have banks that have closed or merged, but I can imagine some people getting a phish and remembering that they had an account there once and away they go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been the recipient of a couple of phishing phone calls - a woman calling from a blocked number (so I couldn't trace caller ID), claiming to be calling from my bank with some "very important information relating to my account", but she "just needs to ask for my password & date of birth to be sure she's speaking to the right person." I just hung up on her. On her second attempt a couple of days later, I told her that if she called again I'd call the police, and never heard from her again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, I have not even heard of that one. I can see how people could easily be taken in if it was done in a proffesional manner.

    ReplyDelete