Friday, December 08, 2006

Fire to the coast

The media seems to have dropped the story of the bush fires burning to the Gippsland coast. Perhaps just as well. Unless there has been a huge reaforestation program since I was last in the area, admittedly quite a few years ago, there is not much to burn between the Princes Highway and the coast in that part of Gippsland.

In fact there is mostly cleared land on the northern side of the highway, so I doubt the fire will get anywhere near the Princes Highway.

Of course the fires are serious., very serious it would seem. While I will gleefully suck up all the details of any catastrophe, I really hope nothing much happens.

When I was a pre teen, fire approached our house in the foothills of Mount Baw Baw. My father told us that in a worse case scenario we would go to the dam and get in and cover ourselves with wet hessian sacks.

My father could occasionally be melodramatic. Given we were surrounded by acres of cleared land, we should have stayed busy putting out any spot fires from embers. Different times, different attitudes and knowledge. We saw the smoke a distance away, but it did not come to our place, although it did in 1939. Totally burnt out.

Speaking of 1939, I was pretty shocked about this Dame M tale.

2 comments:

  1. All I can remember from the last time I went to Lochsport (I HATE that place) were miles of dead looking banksias and they explode with flame. I also hate banksias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Lochsport too. No electric when I was there and a plague of mosquitos. Retirement place for some. Why???

    ReplyDelete