Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Thank you for Smoking


Not a bad movie although the trailer gives much of it away. The lead character, a spin doctor, was under scruntiny by an audience and next to him was young male cancer victim without hair. The line went something like this, "It is in our interests that this young male lives and continues to smoke, unlike my opponent, (the cancer support group?) who will have their budget increased if more cancer victims die. We want this boy to live".

After watching Charles Prentiss in the tv show Absolute Power, nothing surprises me. Fortunately many young people are now quite media savvy and don't fall for spin so easily.

There was a quite amusing part at the end of the movie where old movies had been sanitised by removing the cigarrettes that characters were holding. Somehow, Bette Davis holding a mug of steaming cocoa just does not work for me. No-one could murder a cigarrette like her.

11 comments:

  1. And Aaron Eckhart is a dreamboat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to see that movie. Looks funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is ok Skander, if you mean the lead. I have missed you. Might have know a post with a pic of Bette Davis would bring the out bois from whatever matter has been occupying them.

    No belly laughs in it Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have missed me. They say thaqt absence makes the heart grow fonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes 'the area' more curious and more lustful. Only the younger can play hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I am a bit to esoteric for even my forgetful self. I guess it was an allusion to a David Bowie website that had a lot of pictures of his 'area'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Andrew, another pop culture reference I fail to understand (wha...?) Maybe I'm just no that hip anymore... But I guess I understand your general thrust, with words like lustful and curious, I kinda know where your coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because it is probably an old pop culture reference and you are so young..........and cute, ok, I will say that much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. but not that young, and certainly not that innocent.

    ReplyDelete