Monday, October 23, 2006

Day off and Melbourne Museum



Today was my rostered day off for the week, or one of them. Tomorrow I go under the surgeon's knife so I thought I ought to get out and about today. I had plenty to do at home in the morning but after lunch I ventured across the road for decent coffee. I know some of you may have coffee machines at home, but half the fun of coffee is going out to have it.

I was watching the buses out of the corner of my eye. One went past, so I knew there would be another soon behind it. That is how they work.

I went to the bus stop and sure enough, one arrived with a very handsome driver who was also a very smooth driver. I alighted at the bus stop in Malvern Road and took the pictured piece into Tyson's China Repairs.

It is an ashtray that was my grandmother's, maybe a wedding gift. It it a Guy Boyd piece, who is one of the well known Boyd family. Alas, from my investigations on ebay, it is worth less than twenty dollars. So the $115 quote for repair of two chips on the underside and a crack means it will stay unrepaired, I think.

I called the ex building manager's wife to see if she was free for coffee, but alas, she has changed career direction and is working full time at the Royal Women's Hospital.

So instead I caught the train from Hawksburn to Parliament Station and visited the Melbourne Museum for a couple of hours. I have been once when it first opened, but only to see an exhibition about body piercing, back in the days when I had piercings.

The museum is very good and kept me entertained for a couple of hours. I stood in wonderment about one metre away from a real Tawny Frogmouth Owl sitting on her nest. A staff member later pointed out a satin bower bird, very beautiful. Oh, lots of rudie pictures in the human body area. The most interesting areas, old Melbourne stuff and a water display, I found last and I did not have time to check them out properly, so I will have to go back. The aboriginal section nearly made me cry. It was all the photos, just of ordinary or not so ordinary people. Very moving. But the forest area really takes the cake. It is not a large area and they have done wonders with it.

Back to QV for a bit of shopping and then home.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love the melbourne museum. Did you know it was designed by the same dude who did the museum of civilization in Hull, Quebec? (about two minutes from Ottawa - where all the politik type folks hang out in Canada.)

    Things I like about the Melbourne Museum in no particular order:

    Phar Lap
    The Neighbours set
    The naked models
    The preserved penis
    All the dead bugs
    The stuff about evolution

    Also? The Ian Potter Centre is top-notch. Been there several times and love it. The space is gorgeous.

    P.S. What are you going under the knife for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that about the architect. I suppose the details were around at the time, but it was a while ago.

    The neighbours kitchen is funny.

    Preserved penis? Prefer the synthetic variety if you can't have the real thing. READ NOTHING INTO THAT!

    I am not keen on horses. Their eyes look too flighty to me, but Phar Lap was a very handsome horse. Channel Naomi must have been there the same day as I was, filming a story about Phar Lap's death.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.