Friday, September 29, 2006

History of Shirley

For the edification of His Excellency (self proclaimed) and anyone who may be interested.

Spatula City and someone else who I can't quite find the post at the moment, have both mentioned the movie that this expression came from recently, that is 'And don't call me Shirley'. I suppose it is a coincidence. Afer my initial use of the expression, I thought I ought to find out where my memory had extracted such a useless piece of information. That very large search engine immediately gave me the answer. For some reason I had connected it with older times, John Wayne that is. I do know his real name was Sue. Or was it? But it wasn't Shirley, or was it?

The movie was called Flying High, although in the US, it seems it was Airplane! I think I saw it, and it was an ok movie.

And please don't call me Shirley or Andy.

7 comments:

  1. Ah yes Flying High...

    "Roger Roger."
    "What's my vector Victor?"
    "Huh?"
    "Huh?"

    Wasn't John Wayne's real name Marion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben: We have clearance, Clarence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can now consider myself well and truly edified. (Not in the Absolutely Fabulous sense, I hasten to add Eddy - "and don't call me Edwina!")

    Saw Flying High but that line obviously went right through to the keeper ... "and don't call me Rodney Marsh!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course Ben, he was Marion. I think he sang a number called 'A boy named Sue'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrong film, Leslie Neilsen playing Frank Drebber in the parody of Dragnet said it and I don't remember him in Flying High.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie Neilson was in flying high (Airplane). he played Dr Rumack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks bobby, now I'll have to get a copy and have a look.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.