Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The darker ones

We hear, read and see a lot about Australia's aboriginal problem. Where it is bad, it is truly bad and needs to be addressed.

Just last year, when we could afford a holiday, we went to the Northern Territory. While walking along a Darwin street in the middle of the day, we passed a drunken Aborignal couple and they stank as well.

But that was the only negative experience that I can recall. We saw some bois at Adelaide River waiting to be collected by a bus to go to work, and a couple weren't half bad in the looks department. We saw park rangers, shop staff, boat crews.

We saw them out shopping. We saw them out having a latte or a juice. We saw them out having a beer at a pub. We saw kiddies having fun, in a non electronic manner.

Ah well, what would I know as a tourist in NT when I live in the City of Melbourne.

I just wonder how all the negative media protrayal sits with your average Aboriginal Joe or Joess who gets up every morning and goes to work, school or to hunt for the evening meal? They must dread watching the tv news at times. "Here we go again. Another story on the plight of the Aborigines. Their skin is the same as mine, but that is all we have in common."

I think that at times we need to remind ourselves to not get caught up in stereotypes, much as I love stereotypes. As I have said before, more power to the female elders.

3 comments:

  1. OK, so Bois is the french word for wood and when I read "We saw some bois at Adelaide River waiting to be collected by a bus to go to work"..I thought...he saw wood going to work!? What? And then I realized you meant boy. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, that is funny. Now you mention it, I remember that.

    Gay men often spell it this way to avoid any mis-interpretation. 'I love cute bo(y)(s)' can be misinterpreted and it would soon be picked up by net searches. Paranoid or not, that is how I describe a gay man who is cute and probably less than thirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of the female elders. From what I have read, they seem to be really battling to protect the youngesters in their community, especially re. the sex abuse/alcohol problem. I didn;t see to many problems when I was in Darwin two years ago, although we stayed witha friend who is a sergeant in the NT police and she had some pretty depressing stories.

    ReplyDelete