Monday, August 21, 2006

Cock Fight

Can we have mulitculturism both ways? I don't think so. We are happy to accept the bits we like from other peoples cultures, but not the bits we don't. Bit of a motherhood statement really.

So good people from foreign climes, if you want to stay in Australia and make it your home, sit back, watch, look and observe and see what bits of your culture might be appropriate to show us and perhaps we Aussies will embrace them.

This is totally wrong in Ozland and I am guessing the participants come from a religious catholic country, certainly not a Budhist country, surely not. Real Aussies don't want to see chooks tear each other apart.

5 comments:

  1. I checked out the Cock Fight link you gave us and I agree it's wrong and not at all enlightened. But never forget there are many stupid people everywhere who equate dumb cruelty with manliness. Just look at our Bush boy president and his keepers (and his supporters).

    Sadly much of the knee-jerk multiculturism today often seems to breed tolerance of the worst elements of other cultures. In Los Angeles the authorities turn a blind eye to cock fighting and other "sports" from other cultures out of fear of being considered intolerant. "That's what they do over there..."

    Well they aren't over there anymore are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is worse in your country Ken. I used to teach English to a Polish couple here. One of their brother's and his wife visited them here. They were froma large US city, forget which, and had lived there for twenty years but they spoke no English! They lived in a totally Polish area. Thanks for the link on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got all excited for a minute there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me, how excited???? And what did you do then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excited Andrew, but then, I realised you were talking about roosters... So what I did next wasn't so interesting. I moped, rather than, erm, something rather more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete