Sunday, July 23, 2006

Israel v Lebanon

I don't like what I see happening in the Middle East, but for once it is something about which I don't have an opinion. I will say that it is unfortunate to see Lebanon's infrastructure destroyed.

We see horrific images on our teles from Lebanon and Irael. It can be asbsorbing and mesmerising.

Must say, I was surprised at the number of 'Australians' who live in Lebanon. Read into that what you will.

But I try to keep a sense of perspective. How many kiddies died of starvation today? How many animals are undergoing horrific cruelty as we speak? How many people have undergone terrible torture today? How many people see such little value in their lives that they are ending it, doing so as I type?

The wonderful expression, the elephant in the living room, which I have heard of and read of so many times in the last few days (ok, Jah Teh, you were the first), is diverting, but in the bigger picture, a minor matter.

So how was that for a cop out? I haven't offened Jews or Arabs or christians. Middle East is interesting, but I can't care too much when there are much worse things happening in the world. I can't do anything about any of them.

What I can do is annoy the council until they start emptying the rubbish bin at the corner of St Kilda Road and Kingsway of it's Saturday night overflow on Sunday morning. That is my world.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing much we can do about the big stuff-ups but annoying the local council is one of life's joys. After putting up my rates I'm just waiting for the first council cretin to announce a fact finding overseas wanking jaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen Eira? Bayside? Kingston? No idea why I think you live in that area? Overseas jaunts are very topical in Glen Eira.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overseas jaunts are very popular in Bayside as well.

    ReplyDelete