Friday, July 28, 2006

Dual Citizen

This post could cause me to be disadvantaged, but I gotta say what I think is right.

R, although an Australian citizen, has an English, well Euro, passport. He was born there and worked there and 'paid 'is stamps'. Once the whole Euro thing happened, he could go and live in any Euro country he wants to, and I, as his partner, can too. Ah, Paris? Berlin? Venice? Most likely Barcelona.

He has been living in Australia much longer than he lived in the UK and would not dream of supporting the English cricket team against Australia. The whinging trait seems a bit harder to remove and I seem to have picked it up very easily, along with some speech mannerisms.

He is totally committed to Australia and would not dream of living elsewhere.

But having said that, I think the whole idea of dual citizenship is wrong. How can you be a citizen of two countries? I liken it to someone who pulls up at the traffic lights straddling the white line, having a bet each way. The person is not confident of making a correct descision and must have a bob each way. They can go either way, depending on what the traffic in front of them does, never mind the inconvenience to others. They are not prepared to commit and chance making a wrong decision.

How many long term residents of Lebanon did I hear have Australian citizenship? An Aussie soldier was killed fighting against Hezbolah, as an Israeli soldier, but still Australian. How Aussie? So committed to Australia that he joins the Israeli Army? The mood of people I know, we could well go to war against Israel.

David Hicks, who should NOT be locked up by the US, send him to live in Afghanistan if he is so committed. Take away his Aussie passport. But while he has one, he should be offered full support as an Australian.

I refuse to broach any argument on this. If you love a country enough to become a citizen, then you are committed and revoke all others. Othewise, you are straddling a line, ready to dart where your best advantage lies.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know Andrew. I am in two minds about this. Certainly it is completely incorrect to have dual citizenship (how can you be so committed to two countries?) it is also MIGHTY handy when travelling.

    Is it wrong to want to be politically correct and selfish at the same time? Or just impossible?

    Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dual citizenship thing was very handy when the Brits decided that Aussies just couldn't wander in, get a job and stay for as long as they liked.

    Naively I would like my passport to say 'Citizen of Planet Earth'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:51 pm

    I agree with jahteh - I want a 'Citizen of Planet Earth' passport too. I love my native Australia - it is the home of my heart - but I also enjoy living abroad. In this day and age, I would like to think people could move about freely and live wherever they wish, without swearing allegiance to any State. Vik.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.