Monday, July 17, 2006

Bad Sleep

Right back from my early teens I have never slept well on a Sunday night. It used to be because I would sleep in Sunday morning, but I don't do that anymore.

In my twenties and thirties, I either blamed having Asian food on a Sunday night or a roast. What do they have in common? Onions. Many Asian dishes have onions and a roast usually had a roasted onion. Onions don't agree with many people and I thought I was one of the them.

I had a schocker of a night last night. I would wake initially every half hour, bathed in sweat and unbearably hot. I would pull the bedcovers back, cool down and go back to sleep. This happened perhaps six times. About three I finally settled down and slept properly.

In the time I was awake, I tried to work out why. Ok, it is obviouslyan allergic reaction to something. We had a lovely roast lamb, cooked by R, but no onion, so that can't be it. Nothing else different during the day. How can I connect a meal of roast lamb to Asian food and it not be onion?

What was different about last night's roast? Well, there was a mishap with the mint sauce and it seemed foolish to eat mint sauce containing glass. So, I had extra, extra gravy.

I can only conclude that there is something in gravy, Gavox actually, that is also found in Asian, especially Chinese, food and my system does not like it all.

I will do some research. I am sure that there is plenty on the net about food allergies.

4 comments:

  1. A wild guess based on my many years of medical training, i.e. thumbing through out of date Country Life, Tatler, Reader's Digests and Time magazines in the waiting room of my local GP --- MSG?

    (Given you ditched the mint sauce after the mishap, I have discounted ground glass - usually a great standby as the answer to puzzling deaths in murder mysteries.)

    Of course symptoms such as "wake initially every half hour bathed in sweat and unbearably hot" are associated with menopausal hot flushes. Is there something you're not telling us Andrew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one that had trouble sleeping due to heat. I wondered if it was just me, until a BOM guy on the radio this morning said it had been an abnormally warm night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE, I too suspect MSG, but I don't want to jump on the bandwagon without cause. Regardless of what I really maybe, I am far too young for that.

    Daniel, at least I did not have the weird dreams to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe your heating was too high? Or maybe you are allergic to lamb? Seems that would be the worst thing for an Aussie :-)

    ReplyDelete