Thursday, June 15, 2006

What bugged me today

As previously mentioned, apart from a couple of copies of the Age each week, I don't buy any other newspaper. I check a few daily online. Usually The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Herald Sun, and the Sydney Daily Tele, in that order of preference. I check others from around the world or interstate if I have time and I am interested in some topic. I gobble up freebie papers, except for our local MX.

The Fairfax papers (Age and SMH) both have a 'most viewed' list of articles. The list is made up of headlines and sometimes these may sound interesting but it is not clear what the article is about. I click on it and sometimes I am not interested at all in the article, BUT, because I have clicked on it, then there is another vote for most read article and then it stays on the list and even more people will click on it. It is a wonder that some obsure headline like 'John and Pru tell all about their relationship' is not still on the list of most viewed articles.

Perhaps I should email Lady Mary and ask her to make the online headlines clearer in their subject matter. I might if I took the 'most read items' seriously.

3 comments:

  1. It's the Phil Collins/iPod conundrum that is a growing feature in society - Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over at After Grog Blog, Tony T inspired me to just reply that:

    newspapers don't let us read for free 'for nothing'; they KNOW what article we click on first, and then they dish up more muck in that vein.
    I make a point of clicking first on Bill leak, or on Michelle Grattan, and then, I read the salacious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of that Chrystal. Will do so in future. Usually read Michelle anyway. Heard she is a drinker and likes to call the pollies in the early hours of the morning. They dare not ignore her calls.

    ReplyDelete

Democracy is all very well, but why give it to the people - Audrey Forbes-Hamilton.