Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The queen, scones and football

Guest check list for Queen's birthday afternoon tea, fortunately not hosted by ourselves.

1 straight widow, 80
1 straight widow, 75 plus her toy boy, 70
1 gay male, 50, sometimes drag queen
1 gay male, 60 plus partner, 70
1 gay male, host, 65 plus Fijian partner, 34
2 gay brother, 56
1 gay male, 55, plus restaurant owner Malaysian born partner, 45, plus friend, Malaysian born, 35
1 bi New Zealand Indian, 40
1 gay soccer playing Fijian Indian, 43, plus Vietnamese born partner, 29, plus straight Aussie Indian, 30
1 gay Indian 35, plus Colombian partner, 30
1 lesbian, 45, plus partner 47
1 gay male, 67, plus partner, 50
1 gay Greek born, 43
and us

Although there were a couple of no shows, we still managed to eat our way through scones, cakes, biscuits, buns and drank wine, tea and coffee.

If that wasn't enough, some of us stayed on for dinner, dahl, rice, spicy and plain chicken drumsticks, plus more cakes, tea and coffee.

Reading back, we all sound so old. In reality, there were only two people who could be called old in the behaviour. It was a great afternoon and sides ached from laughing so much.

If it wasn't for multicultural Australia, we would have all been old white men and probably grumpy too.

I am feeling very muliticultural at the moment while so many countries are connected by their interest in a black and white round ball. This game must be good for world relations.

5 comments:

  1. Man, too bad my Gay Husband wasn't in town, you could've added:

    1 Fag Hag, Canadian born, 24, 1 Gay Husband, 26, Quebecoise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Write a post about it and tell us more. While I don't know about how things are for you and him and when you knew, I do get a bit annoyed with guys who are obviously gay and get married and like to have their cake and eat it too. But having said that, Indians and Asians seem to be able to make such situations work. I have seen or heard about many such relationships. Might even write about it myself. Hope it wasn't a too bad situation for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh he actually isn't my husband, not legally or anything. We just jokingly refer to each other as 'gay husband' and 'straight wife.'

    You know, this is the second time in a week that I have confused someone into thinking I actually do have a gay husband. I should write about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her Majesty, The Queen Of Queens, is still the queen of SIXTEEN countries, and it sounds like you had them all represented at your tea. Wish I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought of that Brownie. Must add them up.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.