Sunday, May 07, 2006

The husband

I spent some time with Dame M toninght. I asked her where her departed husband Karl was buried. Springvale? Surely he did not have a plot in St Kilda cemetary? No, said Dame M, he is buried in the back yard. It was his wish. Is it legal to do that? I don't know. I challanged her on it and she insisted, her dead husband was buried in her back yard. I have seen her back yard briefly, and I dinna see a shrine to him. Scarily, I think Dame M is telling the truth.

4 comments:

  1. I was told a long time ago that so long as certain criteria are met (such as appropriate depth, container, etc.) that it's Kosher. HOWEVER, the same person mentioned that it would have a very adverse effect on the value of the property (not that it's an immediate issue versus a partner's wish, but later on down the track).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, most interesting. It is unmarked, so a prospective buyer wouldn't know unless I screamed out at an auction, "There's a body buried in the backyard". I wonder how common it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps he was cremated and scattered under the lemon tree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thought too Ben, but I asked and she said no, he is buried. R suggests she was pulling my leg. Not so sure.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.