Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Widow's (er's) Lament

After having someone around for nearly three decades, one kinda misses them when they are away with work related stuff for a couple of nights. Normally when I am not working, my days alone end with being home at 4pm awaiting R's arrival and him moaning about the traffic, how long he had to wait for the lift, work colleagues and assorted grievances.

We will then go out for a decent walk, sometimes and/or coffee, or a swim in the pool followed by chatting while we sit in the spa, or rarely a whack of the tennis ball.

Suddenly, it has changed. There is no four o'clock focus. At five past 4, I lay on the couch and had a nap. I waited for a friend to call in, who cancelled. (Well pssed off about that after the work I had put into the occasion). I poured a glass of wine and ordered a delivered pizza. I et lunch so late today, I couldn't eat much pizza. No matter, cold pizza for lunch tomorrow will be fine, if I am home.

To be so focused on your partner is probably not a good idea but I like it and R does too I think. If we had kiddies, I guess we would be focused on them and less reliant on each other.

So when some old woman call up radio and says, (switch to shaky old crone voice) 'I'm 80 years old and I lost my husband 18 months ago, after being together for 60 years', I wince, but I do appreciate what she is saying.

Careless of her to loose him. Has he got his mobile on him? Maybe she should call him and see where he is.

The subject line will keep you guessing as to who gets used to get on top.

20 comments:

  1. Sufficiently old and stale post now. Prepared to fess up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I really was teasing then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew you nasty man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been waiting for this post to hit archives, eh, Andrew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was your cryptic use of "used to" in the post that intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How long have you and R been together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I was 21. If I haven't got a headache, then he has one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so 20-odd years! Nice work! Just not the rabid sex-life of your younger years then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe a year or so more than 20. Second sentence, yes. What about you? How long you been together?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'bout seven years

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason I have R pegged as Asian. Dunno why.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope. He is UK born and eight years older than me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, an older man! I'm sure he taught you a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He did, but at some point I overtook him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. when was that? And what did you teach him?

    ReplyDelete