Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The cult of So


What is going with Melbourne's Lord Mayor So? He is applauded and cheered everywhere he goes. I understand that a commercial radio station takes the mickey out of his fractured English, but it is more than that. He has become a cult figure.

I believe he received resounding cheers at a music festival when he was on stage. He certainly did at Midsumma Carnival. It became almost embarrassing at the Commonwealth Games. A popular Lord Mayor. I have never heard of such a thing.

It is infectious. Go, go, go. So, So, So.

2 comments:

  1. He is an interesting character. Have to admit I "cringed" everytime I hear him talk on TV. But hey, as long as he gets the job done.
    He doesn't seem to fit in the public figure category, but in many ways seem to able to present himself as a very sincere person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I worry about is that while not fit in to the public figure thing happens, what is happening in the City of Melbourne? I am sure it is in the safe hand of Cr Katherine Ng. She seems to be the one doing the leg work.

    ReplyDelete