Monday, February 20, 2006

Origin

"Give us a magazine subsription to 'Better Homes and Gardens' please." R quite likes the show and I thought it would be a nice thing to do instead of a perhaps $150 discount that we would receive instead if we promised to use Origin Gas and Origin Electric for 12 months.

We do anyway and there was no extra cost or catches.

I was now on hold, it was not quite so simple.

"Sorry Sir, we cannot offer that to you as you need to use our natural gas supply. Instead you have bulk hot water".

"What???? The water is heated by Origin natural gas. You send me a bill every two months and our hotplates use Origin natural gas." The way our hotwater is billed remains a complex mystery to me but the body corporate pays for the gas for the hotplates. The hotwater is a combo of gas pressure factor, metering, differential pricing and what sort of deal our Body Corporate managers have negotiated. The basics are the same though, use less, pay less.

"Sorry Sir, we are unable to offer you this special deal. However, if you agree to the above conditions, we can give you a discount on your electricity."

I agreed and we may save perhaps $100 per year. It took me a little while to work out that the reason must be is that who supplies the gas to heat our hotwater and for our hotplates is not under our control. It is the body corporate's decision. I wish she had pointed this out to me.

But this mild weather we have at the moment means the air con is not on and so we won't save $100. I must use more electric somehow to get the full benefit. The more we use, the more we will save. Yeah, umm, that is right, yeah, I'm sure, I think, yep, most definitely.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:40 pm

    Who cares how much money you save??? You should strive to use less electricity anyway?!

    ReplyDelete