Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Bit more on Pride March

I have been published elsewhere, here is a copy. If you look at one of the crowd photos in my last post, you can clearly see who the person was who made the comment. The photo was taken before he made the comment. I stand by what I say below. I did feel uncomfortable. We come in all shapes, sizes and styles. But we are not a freak show. Straights are welcome but they need to use a bit of sensitivity. Dame M and the ha ha girls (her miserable Jewish lunch friends as she calls them) came one year and they were great. FYI, Nan McGregor was instrumental in setting up P Flag in Melbourne and has done so much for gay rights over many years. Of course she has a gay son and he sometimes does drag, aka Miss Glenda Waverley. Nan is a treasure.

Nice to see Nan M march, although I will always associate her with P
Flag.

I was not sure that it was the best idea to stand behind some
screaming young dykes, but they were not a problem. I felt
uncomfortable when a straight guy with a wife and child in pusher
standing next to us said 'See that person over there in the leopard
skin, that is a man, not a woman'. The guy was in jeans and had a cut
off tight printed top. He did not look to be the most masculine guy
there, but was far from looking feminine. Quite attractive actually.
But I have to agree with Adamm Stobbs about seeming like a freak show,
and even our comparatively modest little Pride March can feel like
that if you are standing next to the wrong person.

Next year I will make sure we stand in the midst of bunch of screaming
queens.

Original Post was

One of the reasons I don't go to Mardi Gras is because the march is regarded as a freak show by most heterosexuals, and more fool us for feeding them the fodder to reinforce their stereotypical imagery.
I was in the Mardi gras march once, and 1/2 way through, I realised this was not an event for gay and lesbian people, it was an event for the straights who mostly enjoyed the spectacle, but none the less were watching because it was a grotesque and vulgar display of the diversity of human sexuality.
I felt quite uncomfortable at times during Mardi Gras march (1997 I think it was) and have not been back since - it was literally a "look at the poofters" event. Granted that a lot of tolerance and acceptance has come from this event but at what price? Personally I cannot prostitute my dignity to put on a freak show for the leering straights, be they middle class Mums who think it's all a bit of raunchy fun, to the feral westies who came to see a bit of "lesbian tit action" (quote from the year I was standing in the crowd next to a group of nasties). Look at Oxford street at 1am after the march, when all the good gay and lesbian people have gone home or off to the party. It is a sea of bottles and cans - ankle deep, fist-fighting straight boys, and the general debasement and degeneration that dogs massive events where the booze flows and ends up as a tsunami of vomit.
Pride march is the diametric opposite, the is not the glitz, shock, and vulgarity or piss-up, that is mardi gras, it is far more civilised and it has a unifying effect on the community. It is the one day that all of the community groups, businesses and members of the community, come together and show each other support, respect and share a sense of belonging.
I am far to cynical to believe that any mainstream newspaper cares who or what we are, they want to sell more papers, (and make more money) and they are more likely to do this is they show tits, bums and people generally behaving badly, or something that will scare the children. Any nice thing the print about us, is to lure into a false sense of security so they can cash in at the next event when we think they have learned to accept our diversity.
Addam Stobbs


1 comment:

  1. Yea, gay pride and Mardi Gras can be a bit too much sometimes. But still, there is a purpose for such public displays. We as gay men still have to show who we are. We are everywhere and Gay pride events exposes all of the "rainbow" warts and all.
    Big hairy muscle hugs of gay pride.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.