Friday, January 20, 2006

Polish 404

Log from yesterday when I decided it would be a good idea to hide my ip address.

Search, plenty there, chose one
Install the program, it looks reputable
I see, it uses proxy servers
It must have found a Polish one as I am now in some Polish isp site
I don't want Polish language
Not a great idea, over it
IE will only show a 404 message in Polish, no matter what address is put into the address bar or bookmark clicked on
Try various things, still I can only get Polish 404
Uninstall ip address program
Still Polish 404
I want browser to work so that I can chat to cute guys and check my email
Outlook Express still works, weather stats is not
Now, did I keep Firefox?
Yep, and it works fine
Run adaware, spybot, AVG virus checker. No result
Call Telstra tech support, uninstall IE they said(this is impossible) and reinstall. You have a virus. Tried to reinstall IE but was told I already have it
Happy enough to give Firefox another go. But I don't understand it's bookmark system and I want weather stats to work.
Chat to cute guys via Firefox
Sleep, sort it in the morning
Morning. Everything is still the same. A good rest for the pc fixes nothing
Still IE shows only Polish 404
Am I so stupid to download a malicious program or a virus, probably. It looked reputable
Msconfig shows nothing untoward starting up
Early morning chat with cute guys using Firefox
Have a bit of a good look at Firefox
Check anti IE site using Firefox, it does looks much better
Back of brain works
Reinstall ip hide program
Have a good look at it
Exit search ip hide
IE now works ok and weather stats are back. No more Polish 404
Self flaggelate
Like what a saw at Firefox, there are a couple of issues, but I have worked out it's very superior bookmark system now. I don't always want bookmarks ordered alphabetically though
Will stick with Firefox, R allowing as he will have to get used to it too
Compare anti IE site in IE and Firefox and I really can't see any difference now
But more on screen, big clear buttons, more screen showing, stylishly simple, and fast as
Waiting for Firefox Word

2 comments:

  1. Finally... So, the IP blocker does work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. While I don't doubt the program's usefulness to Arab terrorists, it was not for the casual user.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.