Saturday, November 19, 2005

The City Library and the station button

I think it is a great concept. A normal suburban type lending library in the heart of the city. It costs the ratepayers heaps though, but so do all libraries. That is the point of them. They are free education and a resource for the masses. The rich pay high property rates and subsidise the education of the poorer. Don't tell me you can't do something because you are not connected to the net. Just go to your local library. As well as books, you can get videos/dvds, large print books, mags........the list is long.

I think the City Library is probably built on the collection of the Council of Adult Education which was next door or nearby, perhaps still is.

I had a weird experience there recently. Well two really. The simplest was why was there such a long queue for people to check out books when there was a self operated machine sitting idly by? I use the self check out without a problem. The machine reads the bar code on your library card and on the book you wish to check out. It ain't too hard. Why was there a 30 person long queue?

While I was using the computerized catalogue, a polite well spoken foreign student, asked me about the $1.65 charge that she could see on her screen. She asked if it was to use the internet. I explained to her what the charge was for.

Hey, we gotta be nice to them. They bring in heaps of money and add a lot of life to the city as well as cheap places to eat.

It was only a bit later that I thought, you stupid cow. Why did you not read what it said? It quite clearly says that is a charge for reserving books. There is no ambiguity about it. If you wish to reserve a book, there is a charge of $1.65. That is what it says on the screen, which was in front of her.

Blind and dyslexic apart, I can never understand this need for personal communication when there is clear visual or audio information provided.

It even goes to railway stations. In nice big print there is always a hand written, station appropriate timetable, and yet people have to constantly push the audio button to find out when the next train is. If the audio device just gave the info, it wouldn't be so bad, but there is the dial in, then the ringing. When I was a frequent train user, it used to drive me to distraction.

But checking either the written or verbal is pointless in the situation anyway. What are you going to do? Walk? Yes, I know to not check that goes against human nature, mine included.

2 comments:

  1. I too get frustrated by the constant stream of fucktards pushing the goddam green button.

    However, I've noticed two interesting things:

    1. People will never listen to the talking brick when someone else has finished. No. They'll wait until it finishes, then push it only to have it spew out the same information. But this time, it's directed at THEM, and THEM alone. Of course, there'll be another person behind them waiting their turn.

    2. When the train is running late, people will push it as though it will magically make the train get to the station faster. The same goes at a tram stop: People will walk out onto the road and stare up the road, as if somehow this will make the tram appear immediately.

    People piss me off.

    End rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty of the tram stop crime. I have the choice of two stops that about the same distance away and my preference is for the one where I can see the tram coming from a long way away. I spend the time dividing the the service interval by the number of tram routes that pass and then fume why I have had to wait so long.

    ReplyDelete