Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The PTUA

Most cities around the world have smelly buses to transport local inner living folk around their city. In Melbourne we have trams. I think we are quite lucky to have them, but they could work so much better.

Our tram company boss is leaving and in print he has made a point of slagging off the Public Transport Users Association. I am unsure why, but he has said that our motoring organisation is more coperative than the PTUA. When pressed on the wireless, he became very political and fudged it. A spokesperson for the PTUA called the wireless station and argued in a very reasonable manner.

I have met this tram company boss in a situation that was quite meaningful to me, no matter how much I rolled my eyes. My thoughts of him went from being an ok public performer, prepared to promote his company and tow the government line and along the way, maybe making public transport better, to being a totally insencere person who was looking for the photo opportunity.

I am pleased that the PTUA fight for better public transport and don't get too close to government and private companies. It is a hard fight. I have seen so many dollars spent unwisely on public transport and so little to make it better.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with your comments.

    From what I see, the PTUA do nothing but whinge and provide NO constructive criticism or support towards anything any of the operators, or government, try to do.

    If the PTUA actually want to be taken seriously by those who run the show, they need to learn there are proper ways of going about things, as opposed to throwing a hissy fit like little bitches when they can't get their way.

    Hubert was correct in slagging them off. While I don't agree with many of the things YT have done over the years, I think that it's wonderful that he has tried to make many radical changes for the good of the company (and ultimately for passengers, and dare I say it, staff), and has met nothing but resistance from the likes of the PTUA - simply because it does not suit them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with everything that the PTUA proposes or opposes, but the day I hear praise for them from the government or their semi government transposrt companies, I will worry. The little I know about the PTUA comes from 5 second tv or radio grabs. I think there is a bit more to the organisation than that.

    ReplyDelete