Friday, June 17, 2005

Voice

I guess we have all heard our own voices as other hear them. Does anyone thing their voice sounds ok? I would guess not. We hear our own voices differently and it is at least a surprise to ourselves when we hear how differently we sound as to what we hear.

I don't think my voice is very gay. I don't hiss my sesses. To me it sounds drawly, although affected too. Why I do speak so differently to my youngest brother? His voice is so ocker. I suppose it needs to be, as he is a tradie. No matter how hard I try, I could never talk like him. I am better at doing an Irish or Indian accent that a broad Australian accent.

Right from when I was kid, I spoke a bit differently to the rest of my family. Even at the age of four when we kids used to rush to answer the telephone if it rang, people would comment, referring to me, oh, doesn't he speak so nicely. While I am somewhat of a pedant, not that you would think so from my writing abilities, I speak very unconsciously. But my voice sounds affected.

Thanks Headmaster Mr Windsor. You publicly embarrassed me in front of the class when doing a dictation test. Yes, I did say pitchers instead of pictures, but look at the long term effect it has had on me.

So, to the other night's self criticism, can be added, I don't like the sound of my own voice either. I should just shoot myself.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a bit drastic Andrew. I wouldn't be doing that just yet.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.