Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Surf's up

I looked out the window, as I do every morning and, as it mostly is in the morning, the sea was flat and calm. A few minutes later I logged on to a webcam at the Rocks in Sydney to check the weather there and then to a Melbourne cam site to see how foggy it is in St Kilda. They have added another camera, the newest being at Chelsea. I had a look and two guys are surfing. How can there be waves big enough to surf on at Chelsea when the bay is so calm at St Kilda?

1 comment:

  1. I guess it might depend on which direction the wind is coming from. If the wind is coming from the North or North West then St. Kilda would be sheltered being near the top of the bay, where as Chelsea would be less sheltered being further south and in a wider part of the bay.

    I didn't even know that it was possible to surf (waves not wind/kite)in the bay until I saw some people surfing at Williamstown Beach a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete