Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Public Art

I recken public art is great man. That cow up a tree at Docklands is great. That paper boy at Balaclava Junction is way kewl. The dog in the City Square is good. As for Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson stylised as business men at the corner of Swanston and Bourke streets, well, what can you say. They look extra good with a ciggie in their mouths. The tourists love them. At the corner of Latrobe and Swantson, the fragment of the library is great.

Perhaps the above is a bit nineties. City of Stonnington are a with it crowd. Check out their efforts in Glenferrie Rd, Malvern. Brushed aluminium, stlylised cut out pics of Malvern Town Hall that change colour!

Public art is good, there should me more of it.

2 comments:

  1. Is it time for round 2 of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great effort back in 1997 and there were a couple of items of public art that I have not seen, and I suspect there were a couple missing. As mentioned, the new Malvern Town Hall displays in Glenferrie Rd, the now old paper boy at Balaclavaa Junction. I am thinking also of the tram thing where the old South Melbourne tram depot stood. The illuminated wire billboard thingy on the Geelong Rd, along with the zoo animals along that road. Of course the public art at Docklands. Even Kennett's sticks. Why not the stylised tulips in front of where I live. Yep, must be time to do it again.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.