Thursday, April 28, 2005

Recreation

No, not mine, but the name of the health club in High St, Armadale. It has been there a long time. It used to have ground level parking underneath and I swam in the pool there a couple of times in the early eighties. Later it was owned partly by Ranald McDonald, one time editor of The Age and later an ABC radio broadcaster. It went broke then as did he, but he had plenty of resources to fall back on.

It was redeveloped into something suitable for the inhabitants of Malvern and now must be very 'nice'.

I don't actually know it is very nice but I figure it must be as the four wheel drives clamour for a park outside the door. It does amuse me how the drivers of said vehicles must get a park space nearby. Horror of horrors, maybe they would have to walk to the gym. 'Dahling, the only walking I do is on a walking machine under the supervision of my trainer' .


While we are pressured to work out at a gym and have great bodies, can I suggest, go out and walk. Walk lots, look, see, learn, observe. It will keep you fit enough and keep your brain fit as well. Don't forget to stop for a refreshment break along the way.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:59 pm

    If I remember correctly, Recreation was originally Squashways, the first squash courts in Malvern/Armadale, and was built in the early 60s. It had a bowling alley as well.

    Ranald McDonald was managing director of David Syme, but never editor of The Age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to put a stats counter on my blog, so I slip in the occasional error to make sure someone is reading it.

    I can't remember Squashways but it may well have been that the last time I went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and don't forget to stop and smell the flowers....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squashway
    I was the Tenpin Bowling instructer there in the early 60s. It was owned by a consortium headed by Bill Davies.
    Dawn Fraser was a friend and swimming coach. Len Martin was the boss and Terry Heffernan was his second.
    It was some of the best days of my life.
    Roger Burns

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger, I did not know it was tenpin bowling venue. Do you mean where Re-creation is in High Street. Thanks for adding some colour.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.