Friday, April 15, 2005

Public humiliation

I am reminded by Daniel of the humiliation of selling your no longer wanted recordings. I my case it was old vinyl from the seventies and early eighties and maybe there was even a couple of sixties records.

From the time we first bought a cd player they were never played again. But I kept them all, usually in an inaccessible place, such as high in the laundry cupboard behind other stuff. The turntable went under the bed. So for longer than ten years they were never played and they were carted from house to house as we moved.

I had dreams of one day transferring them all onto the pc and then burning them onto cd. But it was such mammoth and daunting task, I never did it.

What finally drove me to get rid of them was that the weight of them caused a shelf in my wardrobe to collapse. I managed to repair it, but the records had to go. Since I would not have any records, the turntable is useless, so it may as well go too.

I knew of a second hand record shop in Chapel St, St Kilda so I carted them all into the shop along with the turntable. The guy was very pleasant and told me to go to the café next door and have a free cup of coffee while he went through them.

He was not finished when I returned. He sorted them into three piles, one definite, one maybe and one discard. How could discard so many of my valuable records? These are my treasured memories. Did he not know what I associate with this record? Peter Frampton is still a respected musician, how can he not want the LP and Peter looked so cute on the cover with his long curly hair. Bah, he was obviously too young to know what Saturday Night Fever meant to us. Ok, the Mahalia Jackson record is a bit scratched and Mary Poppins is almost unplayable. Ah, he certainly wants the Rolling Stones’, Miss You and the David Bowie ones. Oops, Leo Sayer into the discard pile.

Three piles were reduced to two as he checked the condition of the maybe pile. He was left with one small pile that he would buy and one large pile he did not want. He made a good offer for the turntable $70. It must have been a good quality one, Sansui from memory. And he offered about half that for the records. I accepted his offer.

I carted what was left across the road to another shop. I knew the owner of this store was a grumpy old c***, and he did not disappoint me. He had a quick look and grunted that there was nothing there he wanted and they were only fit to be chucked out.

I dropped them off at an opshop.

About one hundred bucks profit for having my musical tastes judged and the care of my records questioned. Quite humiliating.

1 comment:

  1. *points at the dork*

    It's easy to get rid of parts of my music collection if I need to. I just delete the relevant MP3. :)

    ReplyDelete