Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A mate's computer rage

He is quite pc and net savvy, so not sure why this happened. He should have learnt when I told him not to use the escape key to wake up the computer. He aborted one of my downloads once, no big deal. But I did tell him.

Last night he wrote a really nice email, I think, to an overseas friend, but he did it while he was doing other stuff. The pc shut down and he woke it up by using the escape key. It deleted the email, which was ready to send. He was furious. There was no way that he could blame me directly, but I felt bad. Useless computer, useless internet, useless everything. It continued tonight.

Is it a character defect of mine that when something goes wrong with the pc or the net, then I take responsibility for it? Ok, I get a 404 message, I should have saved that. When a program says, it is time to save your work, it is not kidding. Save, back up, save again. I do it all the time. Still, sometimes I lose stuff, but rarely nowdays.

You can rant and rave all you like about the failings of the www, email, your pc, and maybe you will feel better. But at the end of the day, (nice cliché) you must control your pc. It has a lot of limitations. Respect it’s frailty, and you won’t go far wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the habit of using the Shift key to wake up the computer - or moving the mouse. In both cases, I know it won't do anything bad (or good) if I happened to leave a particular window displayed.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.