Monday, October 18, 2004

Vale Cafe 151

For perhaps more than 10 years my partner and I have been going to the now closed Cafe 151 in Commercial Rd, South Yarra. We have taken friends there. I have been on my own and with my own friends. It was a very relaxed place and with reasonable prices. We have had conversations with strangers, overheard juicy gossip and leered leacherously at some cute staff.

Of the many staff we saw come and go, most were very nice. I only got to know the original owners. There were a few times when we walked out when service was very slow, but we never held a grudge. At least once my bacon shattered into a million pieces (I am not American). I have had some coffee to die for and some lukewarm muck at different times.

Alhthough we have not been so often of late as there are so many other places to choose from, (and I expect others haven't either, hence its closure) I really miss Cafe 151.

There was a time I was known by Robin in 151, Chris in CJs hair salon, Rowland and Crusader at Hares and Heyenas, all the staff at Body Bronze, Warren at Outlook, Steve in CMs and Peter in the Beat Bookshop (at least he still remembers me). But life changes, your priorities change, you move on, they move on. What was once new and exciting, is now very blase.

With some very important exceptions, the same goes for friends........but leave that for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:25 pm

    So where does Murray little "hang out" these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murray little? I have some vague recollection of a bar owner called Murray, and a vague recollection of someone we thought was a friend called Murray.

    ReplyDelete